October 1, 2011

A whole new beginning!

As the first month of DC's New 52 draws to a close, they put out a decent, if not overly strong, week of titles. Honestly, there were more hits than misses this week, but none of this week's titles really stuck out for me, aside from Aquaman.

Yeah, Aquaman. Go figure. The laughingstock of the sea has this week's strongest, in my opinion, book.

So, on to the reviews, and then I'll let you know which titles I'm keeping, which are in danger of being dropped, and which I'm definitely dropping. This is a feature I plan on keeping, and doing once all of the month's titles are out. That is, between the #1's and #2's, I'll do this, between the 2's and 3's, etc.

So, without any further ado, the reviews:


All-Star Western #1 – Well…it’s hard to really call this a western, honestly. The only western thing it has, really, is Jonah Hex. Everything else about it, from the location in Gotham to Dr. Arkham helping Jonah Hex, is distinctly…well, not western. All told, though, that is about the only real issue I have with this one. A nice mystery being set up, a serial killer targeting prostitutes, a mysterious society which may, or may not, be involved at some level, even Jonah Hex’s characterization all work together to create quite a nice little book. Something that took me a minute was the florid, purple prose at the beginning, with no accreditation. It’s not until you realize that it’s from Dr. Arkham’s journals that it all kind of clicks together and meshes. Of course Arkham would speak like that. It was nice, for me, to see some of the names mentioned, from Cobblepot to Cyrus Pinckney (Solomon Grundy.)…all of which gave me a little thrill each time I saw them. Jimmy Palmiotti’s art fits perfectly here, with a nicely limited color palette, which really evokes the 1880s when the story takes place. I look forward to the next issue immensely.

Aquaman #1 – I did not realize before going in that Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis were working this book. It feels, structurally, a lot like Green Lantern: Rebirth, in that Johns seems to be going for a revamping of the character. They’re aware going in, and highlight a lot of the jokes that have been made in the past about Aquaman, which was nice for me, honestly. I’ve never really gotten the hate. One of the things that worked for me here is how nobody, cops, criminals, citizens, take Aquaman seriously. And Ivan Reis’ artwork really captures his resentment at being treated like a lesser hero amidst Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc, when it’s freaking obvious how strong he is. I mean, upending a secured van is no mean feat. The nicest thing about this issue? We finally find out how Aquaman manages to get by on land. All in all, a good issue, and I look forward to many more.

Batman: The Dark Knight #1 – Something I realized reading this issue was that DC has apparently decided to turn Batman into a kind of internal Chatty Cathy. I mean, he’s terse and laconic as Batman, but the narration boxes, usually from his point of view, go on forever! Anyway…here, as opposed to the other Batman titles, Batman is taking on evil, both as Batman and as Bruce Wayne. Look, I’m not even going to try to summarize or review this one. There are simply too many Batman titles where he is the star. I understand, Batman’s cool. He’s one of my favorite characters, and, more often than not, one I gravitate towards. But with ten of the New 52 titles focusing on or featuring him, I’m more than a little sick of it. I don’t even like the story set up in B:TDK, at least not the supervillain part. The GCPD part is intriguing, though, with Internal Affairs trying to figure out how Bruce Wayne is funding Batman and who in GCPD is giving him information. It’s a good mystery set-up. But, honestly, there’s no reason this story needs its own title. For me, calling the book The Dark Knight should imply more of a horror slant, or at least a thriller/noir-ish set up. I guess my biggest problem is that all of the main Batman titles feel absolutely the same. How would I do it, you ask? I’m glad you did. What I would do is this: Batman would be about the more fantastical, superhero-supervillain stories. Detective Comics would be about the mystery-solving detective Batman who, in all honesty, is rarely seen anymore. Batman and Robin I would use to explore the dynamic of how he interacts with all of his Robins, past and present. This one I discussed above. The other ones, where he’s just featured? I’d probably pull him from all but Justice League and JLI, honestly.


Blackhawks #1 – I’m not really clear on the set-up for this one. I think it’s a covert team that deals with meta-human threats that are well below the Justice League level. Or maybe a black ops version of the JLI, since they seem to get funding from the UN. It doesn’t really matter too much to me, since I thought this was a well written, entertaining comic that pulled me in from the beginning, and set up some nice arc plots, as well as relationships that could drastically change at the drop of a hat. It was a quick, fun comic, and I look forward to more from it. One thing I was lukewarm on was the artwork. Something about this particular style is incredibly hit or miss for me. When it works, it works really well, but when it doesn’t, it just bugs me.

Green Lanterns: New Guardians #1 – Kyle Rayner can’t seem to catch a break, can he? He’s goes from being the Torchbearer, keeping the light of the Lanterns alive, to being accused of stealing a whole spectrum of rings…guy’s got it rough. I’ll admit, I think I like where this is going, but this issue doesn’t give us too many clues as to where that is, but that’s the way I like it, so I’m not complaining. The artwork was gorgeous, and the various Lanterns having their rings abandon them was handled well, I thought. It’ll be interesting to me to see how former ring-hunter Fatality handles finding out Kyle’s been chosen by the Spectrum. Another thing I like was the twist on Kyle’s origin, specifically the first five minutes of his getting the ring. Certainly is different from the way I remember it. But ya know, that’s just that whole “new twist on remembered stories” that DC’s doing here, and, for me at least, it wasn’t a nonsensical change, and I dug it.

I, Vampire #1 – Stop me if you’ve heard this one: A vampire who sired a lady who turned megalomaniacal regrets his former life of hedonistic blood-drinking and tries to set right what he did. Yeah, this one goes in a different direction from Angel, but there are, at this point, more similarities than differences. He even spends his days slaying vampires, for Pete’s sake! I was left pretty lukewarm by this one, which is unfortunate, because I really wanted to like it. We’ll see where it goes, but it’s seeming pretty paint by numbers at this point. I was a little intrigued by the setting of this, though. It seems like, unless I’m mis-reading it, it’s taking place on 9/11 at the Towers. Someone’s got some pretty big, brass cojones, if that’s the case. I’ll give this one a few issues, but I’m not optimistic about keeping it, honestly.

Justice League Dark #1 – Another set-up I like, a horror take on the Justice League, and it makes sense why they’d pull this team together. Magic hurts Superman, Cyborg can’t figure it out, Wonder Woman is overpowered, Batman’s a normal human. So you bring in the supernatural heavy hitters of Zatanna, Shade the Changing Man, John Constantine, Deadman and Madame Xanadu. Digging it. The fun part, for me, will be seeing how these characters finally meet and how they’ll interact with each other. The art fit this book perfectly, balancing strangely ephemeral and realistic quite well. Peter Milligan does good team books (He did X-Factor for quite some time, and established a nice, noir detective feel to it.), so I look forward to seeing how things develop in his hands.

Savage Hawkman #1 – A hero with a multiple choice past, Tony S. Daniel seems to have streamlined that past quite well. Hawkman has, at various points, been an archaeologist who stumbled upon a strange mystical power, an alien soldier (Or policeman, I was never clear.), and just some guy with wings, and here he’s the best of all of that. I was pleasantly surprised by this one, something I didn’t expect judging by the cover, which seems to think that 90s excess was the way to go. The reluctant hero who has his powers stolen storyline this seems to be going with is dealt with deftly here, I think, and I look forward to seeing where it goes. One problem I had, though, was the villain’s name. I mean, really, “Morphicius?” Why not just name him “Evil-Blobby-Man?” It’s a minor thing, comparatively, but in a decent book, it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Superman #1 – Hoo, boy, was this a letdown. From the very first pages, you realize that more has changed than you realized. A new Daily Planet, which may no longer be a newspaper (It was a little unclear.) relationships changed (Lois doesn’t even seem to have a thing for Superman…and she’s kind of a slut.) and thing just generally off. I didn’t realize at first, but it was written by George Pérez, and like most comic-book creators who made it big in the 80s, a little bit on the wordy side. I keep going back and forth about this issue. At points, I really dug some of the stuff they did. De-powering Superman was nice, and talking about his power creep struck me as a nice touch. And it’s not the first time in the New 52 it’s been mentioned. The art is also somewhat uneven in a lot of regards. Overall, I probably wouldn’t keep up with this book, if it weren’t meant to be a flagship title.

                Recommendation: Trade paperback.

Teen Titans #1 – Man, teenagers sure do have it all figured out, don’t they? Especially superpowered ones who think they know better than the people they deign to help. So why wouldn’t a shadowy organization try to round them up, for their own protection, of course. I like this book, a lot, and not just because I once owned the entirety of “The Judas Contract.” Red Robin, aka Tm Drake, is trying to expose NOWHERE, and decides to pull together a team of teenagers to do so. Nice, simple, almost elegant set-up. There are several nice action set pieces in this book which advance the story rather than becoming the story. It’s nice to see that Scott Lobdell can write female characters who AREN’T vapid sluts, honestly. That whole thing with Starfire makes me think it might be an editorial mandate. But I digress. The artwork is pretty darn good, by funny book standards, so thank you Brett Booth. It’ll be nice to see where this goes. Also, it puts the last few pages on Superboy #1 into a whole new light. Wonder how those are going to fold together, honestly. I’m a little leery of crossovers in books that haven’t had more than, oh, ONE issue. I’ll let it play out some more, though, before I pass judgment. Something you fanbois out there might consider doing every once in a while.

The Flash #1 – A fun and, appropriately, fast-paced book, I really dug The Flash. I mean, seriously, this is one of the easiest to read books of the week, even with a nicely involved plot. And a last page that makes you rethink the previous 21. The artwork keeps pace with the story well, adding a nice dimension to the story, even. I will say that this book had something which I thought had all but disappeared from comics: The use of the title page to enhance the story. Normally, the title is just superimposed on the page, and that’s that. Here, though, in addition to the nicely retro origin summary, the letters of Flash are used as panels to show you the Flash in action, and I could not be giddier about it. It made me want to go out and look up everything Francis Manapul had ever done!

The Fury of Firestorm, The Nuclear Men #1 – Yawn. Honestly, I was bored by this book. A lot of fairly formulaic plotting, writing, characters, no real depth to anyone or anything, I just couldn’t get into this one. Maybe it’s good for the Firestorm fans, but there just wasn’t a lot here that I can, in all honesty, recommend. Even the anti-stereotypical characters are stereotypes. And, of course the two characters who were antagonistic toward each other are going to end up superpowered and fighting each other. And, of course, one of the characters will have a gizmo in their locker that the villains are after. And, of course, the villain will try to be charming while threatening to kill everyone. And, of course, the villain will kill people even when he promised not to. I was just utterly disappointed in this book. Maybe it’ll read better as a trade.

                Recommendation: Trade.

Voodoo #1 – So…yeah. Voodoo is an odd little book. One I’m not sure what to make of yet. The plot, what little there is, seems fairly standard, with a possible alien infiltration…or maybe just an alien who wants to “know about our Earther ways.” I dunno. Ron Marz is usually pretty reliable with a good plot, so I’m willing to try this one out a bit longer than usual. The art, though, is absolutely gorgeous! Crisp and well-defined (Heh…see, it takes place in a strip club, so…yeah.), it really works well here. There’s just such a division between the artwork and the starkness of the plot that the overall effect is one of being unbalanced. Which, I admit, may have been what they were going for. As with all first issues, I’ll give it a few more before I truly decide if I like it or not.

BONUS REVIEW: Brilliant #1 – I know, I haven’t reviewed any Marvel titles yet here. I thought I’d change that this week. But, honestly, Marvel’s company continuity is such a mess, that I didn’t know where to begin. I don’t like just jumping in without knowing if I’m picking a good spot (Hence, my reading of DC’s New 52 line.), so I was floundering for a while…until I found Brilliant by Marvel’s Uber-Team of Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley. I’m not sure how much this counts, though, since it’s under Marvel’s Icon line for their creator owned titles. But, meh, my blog, my rules, I’m counting it. The set up is this: College age super geniuses in various fields (Biology, physics, etc.) realize that, in the middle of the last century, science and science fiction were feeding off of each other, and a lot of the big ideas have come to pass, except for one: Superpowers. So they decide to crack it. I gotta say, when Bendis hits, he hits on all cylinders and doesn’t go back, and he’s hitting here. It’s hard to say how long this origin is going to go, as Bendis has a penchant for nice, drawn out stories that make you care about all of the characters, even the villains. And Magley’s artwork is simply magnificent…as always. Back in the day, Ultimate Spider-Man was one of my favorite titles to read, because of how well Bagley’s words work with Bendis’ words, and vice versa. All told, a nicely done book that makes me wish it wasn’t 60 days until the next issue.


So there you have it. Next week starts in on the continuing stories and arcs of these books, so it'll be nice to see how things pick up from the initial dip in the pool. It's quite a brave thing DC's doing, and, overall, it's worked well for me.

Now, as promised, the list of books I'm going to keep for sure, the ones in danger of being dropped, and the ones I'm definitely dropping:

Keep
  • Animal Man
  • Action Comics
  • Green Arrow
  • Batgirl
  • Batwing
  • Justice League International
  • Static Shock
  • Batwoman
  • Resurrection Man
  • Demon Knights
  • Superboy
  • Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
  • Birds of Prey
  • DC Universe Presents
  • Green Lantern Corps
  • Supergirl
  • Green Lantern
  • Wonder Woman
  • All-Star Western
  • Aquaman
  • Justice League Dark
  • Justice League
  • The Flash
  • Teen Titans
In Danger
  • Detective Comics
  • Men of War
  • OMAC
  • Swamp Thing
  • Deathstroke
  • Grifter
  • Mister Terrific
  • Suicide Squad
  • Batman and Robin
  • Red Lanterns
  • Batman
  • Blue Beetle
  • Captain Atom
  • Catwoman
  • Legion of Super Heroes
  • Nightwing
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws (I almost dropped this one completely, but I'll give Lobdell et al a chance, especially after Teen Titans.)
  • Batman: The Dark Knight
  • Blackhawks
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians (Yeah, I'm thinking about dropping a GL title. It's hard, but this one just didn't do too much for me, after all is said.)
  • Savage Hawkman
  • Superman
  • Voodoo
Dropped Although I'm not going to stop reading most of these yet, I won't bother reviewing them. If they pick back up and make me like them, I'll let you guys know, though.
  • Hawk & Dove - Which I'm not even going to bother to continue with, actually. I can't get myself past the Liefeld touch.
  • Stormwatch - There just wasn't much that I could honestly care about in this book, and I wanted to like it, I really did.
  • Legion Lost - There was too much going on here that was based on the mega-event, Flashpoint, the immediately preceded the New 52, so until I catch up there, this one's not going to make any sense to me.
  • I, Vampire - Which is, honestly, a disappointment to me...too much of one to continue on with the book.
  • The Fury of Firestorm, the Nuclear Men - Even favorite writers and artists can hit stumbling block, so I hope this one picks up down the road, but the first issue did nothing for me.
And there you go. Month one is done in DC. I hope that this experiment of their succeeds and brings in more new readers than just myself.

As promised, my next post will be about the covers. I know I said I would talk about myself more, and I promise that I will in the future. It just was not a good week, personally, to do so. A lot more going on in Chris-ville, and far more events transpiring than I wanted to.

Keep reading, everyone! If there are any reviews of mine you disagree with, or other books (On-going and mini.) that you think I should be reading, or would like my take on, give me a shout, and I'll be more than happy to look them over.

See you next time!

No comments: