October 11, 2011

These are the Star Wars, they never end!

Two semi-big things to talk about this time. First, the truly important one: I got at least one kiddo watching Star Wars! Yay!

After some false starts in watching it, I got the elder of my children to watch Star Wars with me Sunday. At first, despite earlier in the week having agreed to and said they were excited about watching it, when it came time to watch, they seemed reluctant. Can't say I was surprised, but I talked them around. And, at first, I thought it was going to be a little different, with the elder not wanting to watch and the younger sitting around for the cuddles. But, no. The younger child's reluctance showed up right as I stuck the movie in. She went off to play upstairs and do other, thoroughly important things. :-) Can't blame a guy for trying.

Elder, though, seemed to get into it. She said that her favorite part was at the end, when Leia was dressed like a princess, which, I gotta say, doesn't even surprise me a little bit.

All told, though, neither of the girls really sat down and watched it, so I can't really say whether or not they enjoyed it. Maybe another time.

That's one of the things with children. You can't force them to like the things you like. My daughters geek out over different things. Younger, right now, loves Starwberry Shortcake. Elder loves reading. Whatever keeps them happy and learning is fine by me.

Besides...we'll always have Phineas & Ferb. :-)


Okay, now about the DC/Barnes and Noble controversy. I'll be honest, it seems a short sighted move on Barnes' part, with nothing but gain for local comics shops. By pulling these from their shelves, they've limited the number of places they can be bought. Kinda. Because you can still order them online, and I'm sure that you can have the people in the stores order them to be picked up, also.

Honestly, it seems like Barnes is acting like a spoiled brat who says that if they can't have any of the pepperoni pizza, NOBODY can have ANY of the pizza at their party. Given that their competition just closed down, I can't help but think "BORDERS, BORDERS, BORDERS" when I heard this news. I just cannot fathom wanting to cut out any business, no matter what, admittedly small, percentage it may be.

But, hey, I'm just glad that there are more reasons to go to your Local Comic Shop. So, go out, buy Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, Red Son and Ex Machina there. Meet other nerds, and, hey, maybe you'll find something cool based on their recommendations.

See ya next time!

No comments: