October 22, 2011

Do-do do do dit do, DO! (Think Mario.)

It was kinda hard for me to get these reviews going this week. Dunno why. I've had some nice days off with my family, so maybe that's it.

But I've also been reading some non-comic book fiction.

Two books have been finished or started this week.

First was one of my favorites, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, By Michael Chabon. It tells the story of two young cousins who helps launch the comic book era, their lives and how their work changes not only who they are, but how comics are percieved. It's a Pulitzer Prize winner, folks, and one of those books I read every few years. Chabon develops his characters well, and you actally learn quite a lot about how the very first publishers screwed their creators, which actually ended up leading to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. It's an intriguing blend of non-genre fiction that somehow manages to also show how a genre works.

Next, I'm about a third of the way into the decidedly geektastic Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It's about the hunt for a treasure, buried by an eccentric billionaire...within the world of a video game he created. The author is very much enamored of the 1980's, and sure does love referencing them at the drop of a hat. That's not normally something I'm a fan of, but here, given the plot, it works really well. I can't wait to find out if some of the hunches I have about plots and characters are going to prove true or false. It's a decidedly quickly placed novel, and one I have a hard time putting down. I can't wait to finish it!

Right, now on to the comics!




Batman #2 – Ah, In Media Res, how I love you! It’s one of my absolute favorite conventions when a show, book, movie, and media starts with a nice action scene, with the hero in imminent danger, and then backtracks to how we got there. Bruce Wayne plummeting to an almost certain doom certainly qualifies. Not a bad book, just one I don’t think I’ll be keeping up with for much longer, due to the fact that…well, it’s just not grabbing me. Oh, hey, look, the guy running for office has a background similar to Bruce’s. What’s that? A mysterious organization that everyone thought defunct is still active, and has metahuman assassins? Okay, that’s actually a good plot, but I’m not a fan of how it’s handled here. It’s somewhat lifeless and lackluster for me. The highlight of this book, for me, is the artwork. It’s reminiscent of Frank Miller’s Dark Knight Returns, while still being its own thing. So, kudos to Greg Capullo for that. I may need to seek out some of his other stuff.

                Recommendation: Trade, since I think the story will make more sense collected than it does individually.

Birds of Prey #2 – I’m liking the Charlie’s Angels vibe to this book. The mystery’s not too bad either, with the ladies coming together to find out who’s trying to kill them. One of the traps that a lot of comics fall into is not giving its women distinct personalities, and we certainly have them here. Also, continuing the changes from the Old DCverse, Katana is…somewhat mentally unstable. Unless there’s a story I never saw where she thought her husband’s spirit was bound to her sword. But, hey, big universe, you never know. I’d also like to point out that this book basically counteracts all of the criticisms leveled at DC for having slutorama Starfire and cheesecake Catwoman. The women are all strong, non-hypersexualized heroes. They aren’t drawn to ridiculous proportions, and you could actually believe that, somewhere, someone looks JUST like this.

                Recommendation: Pull box, especially if you’re a fan of shows like Charlie’s Angels, Alias, Nikita…or any other female oriented action show.

Blue Beetle #2 – Poor Jaime Reyes, can’t seem to catch a break. He gets grafted to an alien superweapon, rendering him unrecognizable to even his closest friends, super-villain thieves after him, and he can’t get to the party of the girl he wants to impress! This book reminds me of the movie Guyver. Same basic concept, but fewer Latinos. Anyway, back on point…after a relatively weak first issue, I really dug this, from just about every angle, and it sets up some nice future conflicts, including an alien invasion and the crush’s aunt being a criminal mastermind. Blue Beetle’s never been a character I really invested much time in when he WASN’T with Booster Gold, so I never knew this iteration, but I am glad I found him this time round.

                Recommendation: Pull box, since I like strong action titles with befuddled and confused leads.

Captain Atom #2 – I’ll be honest, there wasn’t much that drew me in for this title. The individual elements are all ones that I like: A hero whose power is both mysterious and slowly going out of control, mistrust when that hero helps stop a natural disaster, the hero using his newfound powers to help someone and finally the consequences of using not fully understood powers. All good elements, in any combination, but something, for me, isn’t clicking in this book. It’s artwork is a style I’m not fond of, either, with proportions changing all the time, in several characters. I could actually buy it if it were just Captain Atom who was shifting, since that would sit well with his powers, but it’s everyone.

                Recommendation: Trade.

Catwoman #2 – So…the aftermath. Yeah. So while I understand the reasoning behind her wanting to release a little tension with Batman, it ends up seeming mostly unnecessary. The story we finally get into, however, is a nice heist story, with lots of revenge thrown in. Let’s face it, it takes a special kind of hurting to steal from one Russian mob, set up another Russian mob for it, and take out a lot of high level members of both, including the one who hurt your friend. Also, we see once more why Bruce Wayne is who Batman pretends to be, since he’s never not working. My favorite bit was seeing Alfred muttering to himself when Bruce walks off. It perfectly captured my mental image of him, and how I’d write Alfred, if I were to do so. All in all, though, it’s not my favorite book ever, but it’s not horrible, either. I hope that the next issue builds on the rather horrifying conclusion of this one.

                Recommendation: Trade, but pull it if you like the character.

DC Universe Presents #2 – Continuing the Deadman chronicles, I liked this issue. Boston Brand confronts Rama about his destiny and job, and, as he should, realizes that she’s lying, or at the least, leaving something out of the equation. There’s obviously a reason he still remembers the bodies he’s inhabited, and I’ve got my theories, but I won’t elucidate for now. Either way, I like the character, and this treatment’s enormous fun to read. The best bit comes when he’s trying to break into a nightclub that fronts for a metaphysical library, jumping bodies, confusing every one and their brother. And when his original plan breaks down, it just gets crazier and more awesome. I liked it a lot.

                Recommendation: Pull, but it’s tricky with anthology comics.

Green Lantern Corps #2 – Man, they had the potential for a decent horror story, but it’s become a decent action comic instead. I’m not upset too much, but it’s like when you’re expecting pizza and get a hamburger instead. I liked this issue a lot, but I would, wouldn’t I? It’s setting up a nice, rogue GL storyline, or at least I hope that’s where it’s going. The artwork’s gorgeous, the plotting tight and well-paced…about the only thing I can criticize this book for, aside from the genre shift, is that I have to wait a whole month until the next issue!

                Recommendation: Pull box.

Justice League #2 – Seemed like it took forever for this book to come out, didn’t it? Anyway, after a brief interlude when we find out that Central City PD wants the Flash’s identity, and Wally needs to hide it, we get back to our fight, already in progress. It ends up being a pretty standard, if well done, fight among heroes. You know…misunderstanding, attacking before talking, etc. Even though one of the heroes is wanting to talk, it just keeps going until Batman, of all people, stops things. On a detail level, the panel where Superman “fliks” Flash is hilarious to me, on a basic, fundamental level. It is nice to see the heroes coming to trust each other, but still wary. The artwork is, once again, very nice. All told, I like this issue.

                Recommendation: Pull box. Let’s face it, it’s going to be the flagship title of the New DCverse, so it’s probably going to be important.

Legion of Super Heroes #2 – Now this one I just plain didn’t like. And I do like the LoSH in certain continuities. There’s just too much going on here, with no focus at all. The artwork is nice, but without a good story to back it up, they’re just pictures with no context. Overall, not my favorite experience. If you want a nicely written LoSH story, go back to Volume 5, which came out in 2004, 2005. Well written, gives you a sense of depth to the team, lets you see how they all interact. AND good artwork, to boot!

                Recommendation: Drop, unless you’re an absolute, hardcore, LoSH fan.

Nightwing #2 – How many fortunes does Dick Grayson stand to inherit? I mean, seriously. He’s probably going to get Bruce Wayne’s, and now a circus magnate’s? Aside from that, and someone hunting down Dick Grayson, there’s more action than plot in this one, but I’m okay with that, in this case. Mainly because the action sequences are well done, with just the right amount of exposition and advancement. One minor thing, and this is about Nightwing in general, is that I like this particular iteration of his costume. Something about the red symbol against the black suit just works for me. All around a good book.

                Recommendation: Trade, because while it is a strong book, it’s not pulling me in quite enough to keep up with it on a monthly basis, but I can see where I’d get a great deal of enjoyment out of it collected.

Red Hood and the Outlaws #2 – Well, at least we know how Jason Todd came back to life in this continuity…Talia and a Lazarus Pit. Aside from that, a lot of plot threads are coming together really quickly in this one. Honestly, the team forming is the one I like the best, but I’ve always been a fan of that, when done well. One thing I don’t understand about this book is why the team is called the outlaws. I mean, I know that Arsenal broke out of jail, but that seemed to have been a set up, so it’s not like he’s an ACTUAL outlaw. And, as far as I know, Starfire’s not committed any crimes to speak of, nor Red Hood. So, unless it’s about just using a cool sounding name (Which I could totally see any of these characters doing.) it just doesn’t make any sense. All the same, Lobdell has kinda sorta made up for the Starfire fiasco, and let’s face it, it was, from last month by almost completely ignoring it. Really, that’s the best way to handle it.

                Recommendation: Trade for now, but it’s got some good potential to be a pull box book.

Supergirl #2 – The last time I saw this particular characterization of Supergirl was on Smallville. I have to say, though, that everything about this book works. Her anger and confusion come across in both the art and writing, and when she finally accepts that Kal-El is who he says, the shift in her personality seems as natural as you can get when you’re an alien who just crash landed on a strange and distant planet. Frankly, it’s a plot I’ve seen a few times, and it works more often than it doesn’t. It’s one that allows for heroes to fight heroes without becoming too formulaic. The art in this book is nice, too. Once that all settles down, the real story seems to be kicking in, and I like where it’s implicating.

                Recommendation: Pull box, one of the stronger Super-titles amd well worth the money.

Wonder Woman #2 – This seems to be origin month at DC. There are several titles this week, and this month, come to think, that give either thumbnail versions of their origins, or a more or less full retelling, like here. It helps that Princess Diana has a pretty easy beginning to recount. That aside, it also seems to be worked into the plot, which helps things quite a bit. It’s a fairly standard mythological story, with Zeus having impregnated yet another mortal. Reading this book made me a little sad to know that people seem to be focusing on the two characterizations that really detract from this whole New 52 thing. WW, Supergirl, Birds of Prey, Batwoman…all good, strong female leads. While Starfire and Catwoman are pretty cheesecake-ish, fantasy fulfillment characters, the rest all have nicely involved, deep back stories that make them worth reading…and showing to your daughters.

                Recommendation: Pull box. I like where it’s going, with its twist on Greek mythology.

So, there you have it. One of the strongest weeks in DC's New 52. But I wonder, how long can they honestly call it New 52? I give them a year until they drop it. :-)

Keep reading, and see ya next time!

No comments: